OLIVE OIL CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
A simple and elegant dessert!
If you haven’t yet experimented with the combination of chocolate and olive oil, you’re in for a treat!
They are a fantastic pairing, and the highlight of this elegant dessert.
This luxurious chocolate mousse utilizes Extra Virgin Olive Oil rather than cream, which gives this dessert a super silky texture. It’s a perfect use for our organic Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil or our Sevillano Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and we think it’s definitely worth trying with our Blood Orange Olive Oil, too!
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1/4 cup Secolari Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 egg yolks, plus 2 egg whites
3 tablespoons warm water
1/4 teaspoon Secolari Fleur de Sel Sea Salt
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
Freshly whipped cream and chocolate shavings, for serving
- 1. Heat the chocolate in a double boiler until melted and smooth, stirring frequently (or melt in the microwave.) Remove from heat and let the chocolate cool slightly. Whisk in egg yolks, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, warm water, and Fleur de Sel until well blended.
- 2. In a separate, clean bowl, use an electric or stand mixer set on medium high speed to beat together the egg whites and cream of tartar until the mixture becomes frothy. Add in the granulates sugar, and beat until soft peaks form.
- 3. Fold about a third of the egg white mixture into the chocolate mixture, and incorporate until no white streaks are visible. Then, gently fold in the remainder of the egg white mixture until fully incorporated.
- 4. Evenly divide the mousse among 4 to 6 dessert cups, bowls, or wine glasses, cover each serving and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- 5. Before serving, spoon whipped cream and chocolate shavings over each bowl.
- 6. Enjoy!