Cod and Fennel Soupadmin
This soup was born from the Cucina Povera. It was originally made from remaining pieces of fish that was not sold at the market at the end of the day by fisherman. This main course soup is quick, fragrant and warms the soul especially on a cold night. Chef Alba
Cod and Fennel Soup
- 2 -3 tbsps Secolari Italian Herb Olive Oil
- 1 medium sweet onion minced
- 1 celery stalk minced
- 1 cloves of garlic thinly sliced
- 1/2 bulb fennel diced, reserve fennel greens
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsps roughly chopped Italian parsley
- 1 to taste Secolari Roasted Garlic Sea Salt
- 1 to taste black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 pounds cod cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 zest of lemon
- Add Secolari Italian Herb Olive Oil to pan and cook the onion and celery for about 5 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, fennel, parsley, bay leaves and stir. Add the Secolari Sea Salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook until the fennel is just tender.
- Add the broth and cook on medium heat 5-8 minutes. Add the fish and cook for about 5 minutes making sure the flesh doesn’t break apart. When ready, top with fennel greens and zest of lemon.