Biryani Rice and Caramalized Onionsadmin
There are various theories related to the origin of this scrumptious dish. Some historians believe that biryani originated from Persia and was brought to India by the Mughals. Whatever the origin, this dish is addictive. Biryani is a celebration of all that is great about Indian food, the impressive aromas, the vibrant colors, the fluffy rice, and the exotic spices. Chef Ravi
Basmati Biryani and Caramelized Onions
- 1 cup basmati rice rinsed and soaked
- 1 Tbsp Ghee
- 1 Tbsp Secolari Mantequilla Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp. caraway seeds
- 1 indian bay leaf or regular
- 3 cloves
- 3-4 whole green cardamom pods
- 1 inch cinnamon stick broken in half
- 1 small star anise
- 4-5 black peppercorns
- 2 tsps garlic-ginger paste or 1 clove garlic mashed and 1 tablespoon mashed ginger
- 1 to taste Secolari Roasted Garlic Sea Salt
- 1 tbsp each minced cilantro and minced mint
- 1/4 tsp saffron
- 1 3/4 - 2 cups hot water
- 1/2 lemon juice
- Rinse basmati rice a couple of times in cold water, untill the water runs clear of starch. Soak the basmati rice in water for 30 minutes. Later drain and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil and 1 tablespoon ghee in a thick bottomed pan. Add ½ tsp caraway seeds with 1 bay leaf, 3 cloves, 4 to 5 black peppercorns, 1 small star anise, 1-inch piece cinnamon, 3 to 4 green cardamoms. Saute them till fragrant on low heat. Add 2 tsp ginger-garlic paste, 1 tbsp chopped coriander, and 1 tbsp chopped mint leaves. Stir and saute untill the ginger-garlic paste is aromatic, 1 to 2 minutes
- Add the soaked rice and saffron strands. Add 1 3/4 up of hot water; stir well. Squeeze 5 to 6 drops of lemon juice. Stir.
- Cover the pan tightly with a lid. Let the rice cook untill its just done. the rice should be cooked well and yet remain separated. It should not be soft or mushy. While cooking do not stir as this will break the rice. if you think it is too dry toward the end of cooking, simply add a little more hot water if necessary.
- To prepare the garnish heat 1 tbsp oil in a medium frying pan and add the thinly sliced onions. Stir well and saute on a medium-low heat stirring occasionally. Season with salt. Saute the onion until golden and slightly crispy. Remove and drain them on paper towel to absortb any oil.
- In the same pan, add 10 to 12 cashews. Saute the cashews to golden. Remove the golden cashews and place them on paper towel.
- When the Biryani rice is ready, garnish with the fried onions, cashews and freshly chopped mint and cilantro. For additional flavor, drizzle thick balsamic on top