Pasta with Tomatoes and Golden Breadcrumbsadmin
Pasta first courses are a main event in an Italian household. This is a simple unpretentious dish topped with hot toasted breadcrumbs. Toasted breadcrumbs over pasta dishes are common in Southern Italian cooking, especially in hard times when people could not afford cheese. Chef Alba
Farfalle Tomatoes and Golden Breadcrumbs
Pasta with and Tomato Sauce
- 1 pound farfalle pasta (bow ties)
- 3-5 tbsps Secolari Basil Olive Oil or Secolari extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large cloves of garlic thinly sliced
- 2 pints cherry or grape tomatoes cut in half, lengthwise
- 1 to taste Secolari Roasted Garlic Sea Salt
- 1 to taste black pepper
- 10 fresh basil leaves chiffonade or roughly chopped
Pasta Topping: Golden Breadcrumbs
- 1 cup Italian breadcumbs
- 2 - 3 Tbsps Secolari Basil Olive Oil
- Heat a 5- to 6-quart pot of water over high heat, and bring a boil. Add the pasta and 2 tablespoons kosher salt, and bring to a second boil. Stir vigorously for the first 2 minutes so the pasta will not stick. Cook the pasta until al dente according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, begin cooking the sauce. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the sliced garlic and cook over low heat until the garlic is just golden, about two minutes. Add the tomatoes on medium-high heat; cook 7-8 minutes. Stir occasionally to allow the tomatoes to caramalize. Season with salt and pepper.
- When the pasta is al dente, transfer to the skillet with the cherry tomatoes. Add the fresh basil; toss everything together over the heat just to combine.
- In a small saucepan, add the oil and breadcrumbs and toast on low heat until just golden and aromatic. Be sure to stir continuously. When ready, remove from pan and transfer to a bowl.
- Serve pasta in a large serving bowl or individual plates. Top with hot breadcrumb and serve immediately.