Focaccia with Rosemary and Sea Saltadmin
This is an ancient Italian recipe with a unique and delicate taste. It’s a delight that can be savored any time of the day. Focaccia is a flatbread, made with a simple dough, good quality olive oil, fresh rosemary and a coarse salt. Focaccia is sold in bakeries in Italy by the square pieces. While it’s baking, it will be difficult to resist the hypnotizing yeasty fragrance of the dough and warm scent of rosemary. Chef Alba
Focaccia with Rosemary and Sea Salt
- 3 1/2 cup 00 flour or unbleached flour
- 1 packet instant dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 1/4 tsps Secolari Fleur de Sel Sea Salt for dough
- 1 1/2 cups warm (100 degree) water plus extra if needed
- 3-4 tbsps Secolari Sevillano Extra Virgin Olive Oil divided
- 2 - 3 tbsps freshly chopped rosemary
- 1 to taste Secolari Roasted Garlic Sea Salt sprinkle on top of focaccia
- 1 drizzle Secolari Traditional Balsamic
- in a large bowl, add the flour, yeast, sugar together and mix. add 1 tablespoon olive oil to warm water. Create a little well in the center of the flour mixture. A little at a time add the warm water and mix from center out. Continue until the dough comes together. Once you have a dough. Flour a work surfice and knead the dough about 10 minutes or until the dough bounced back when you press with your thumb.
- Transfer the dough to a well oiled bowl. Allow the dough to rest 2-3 hours covered until it rises to double its size. Remove the dough from the bowl and transfer to a parchment or a well oiled baking sheet. Press the dough to fit the pan as much as possible. It will probably spring back. Allow the dough to rest another 30-45 minutes on the pan. Press the dough again and create little dipples with your thumb over the entire focaccia. This focaccia is rustic so it doesn't not need to be perfectly rectangle or round. Note: dough should be about 1/3 inch thick.
- Drizzle the dough with 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil, sprinkle the salt and rosemary over the entire focaccia. It is ready to be baked in the oven.
- Bake the focaccia in a preheat oven to 400 F. bake 10-15 minutes depending on the thickness and your oven. Check after 10 minutes to see if the bottom is golden. Both the bottom should be golden and the top slightly golten. When the focaccia is ready, cut in slices and drizzle some balsamic on top or exra olive oil.