Recipe: Basil Olive Oil Ice Cream@secolariadmin
Basil Olive Oil Ice Cream
A cool, dairy-free treat to get you through the summer!
There’s a reason that our Basil Olive Oil is the best-selling flavor we offer. It’s so fresh, so flavorful, and so versatile! When you smell or taste it, it’s as if the basil were freshly picked just for you – nothing else compares.
In the hot summer months, we long for something cold and fresh to keep us cool, and this Basil Olive Oil ice cream sure does the trick – and coconut milk keeps it dairy-free! Break out your ice cream maker, and get ready for this delicious dessert:
- 1 can coconut milk (13.5 oz / 1 2/3 cups)
- 3 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup Secolari Basil Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup Honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
1. Heat coconut milk (make sure you use full-fat and not light) on medium-low heat, stirring very frequently, until hot and steaming but just short of a simmer (do not let the milk simmer.)
2. Place egg yolks in a heat-safe container – a pyrex measuring cup or a glass bowl will do the trick.
3. Temper the egg yolks by adding a ladle full of hot milk to the yolks while stirring them. Add the tempered yolks to the saucepot, again stirring constantly.
4. Heat the mixture on medium-low, stirring constantly and never letting it simmer, until the custard thickens (should coat the back of a wooden spoon and be as thick as heavy cream), about 6-8 minutes. Note: If the custard boils, the egg will curdle. If this happens, it can be saved – remove from heat immediately and pulse through a blender until smooth.
5. Remove from heat and pour into a bowl or measuring cup to cool.
6. Let cool to room temperature. Add the olive oil, honey, vanilla, and salt, and whisk until fully incorporated.
7. Chill the custard in the fridge until cold.
8. Place the chilled custard in your Ice Cream Maker and follow the directions.