Maghreb Hummus and Olive Saladadmin
Hummus is a rustic chickpea dish of ancient Middle Eastern origins. In Arabic the word “hummus” or “houmous” means chickpeas. Another essential Middle Eastern ingredient to make a good hummus is, tahini. Tahini (means ground in Arabic) is a paste made from lightly toasted sesame seeds, ground and mixed with sesame seed oil. Hummus, spicy, fragrant, and packed with plant-based protein, can be served as a mezè (appetizer), a sauce, or a side dish. Garnish with olives, tomatoes, spices, parsley, fresh chili peppers, and more. Chef Alba
Maghreb Hummus and Olive Salad
- 1 (28 oz) can chickpeas drained, reserve 1 cup of liquid
- 1 - 1 1/2 tsps ground cumin
- 1 - 1 1/2 tsps ground coriander
- 1/2 - 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2-3 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1/2 cup tahini paste
- 1 to taste Secolari Roasted Garlic Sea Salt
- 1 - 2 tbsps Secolari Allegra Extra Virgin Olive Oil for hummus
- 1 to taste black pepper
- 1 zest and juice organic lemon
- 10-15 mixed green and black olives
- 1-2 tomatoes chopped or slices
- Secolari Allegra Extra Virgin Olive Oil to drizzle
- ground paprika for decoration
- ground cumin for decoration
- 1-2 tbsps chopped italian parsley
- Combine the chickpeas, cumin, coriander, red pepper flakes, garlic, tahini, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Pulse a few times until you have a rustic smooth blend. If the consistency is too thick, gradually add some of the reserved chickpeas juice, pulse again. Be sure to scrape the sides of the food processor occasionally. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and spices as needed. Keep pulsing until you get the consistency you prefer. I prefer a rustic not so creamy version.
- Place the hummus in a medium sized bowl, then create a shallow well by pushing the back of your spoon towards the bowl, leaving at least one an inch on the edge creating a rim, then turning the bowl like a wheel as you push your spoon at the same level.
- Once you create the well, place the olives, chopped tomatoes, and parsley in the middle. Lastly, pour olive oil on top and season with some cumin and paprika powder if desired. Serve with pita or any flat bread of your choice. You can refrigerate the hummus up to a week.